Friday, July 30, 2010

The Swan Thieves

The Swan Thieves is Elizabeth Kostova's new book, and it was given to me as a leaving present. I was very impressed that my friend chose so well for me. It was a beautiful story, covering art, history, romance, mystery, mental illness, so much. And the characters, so believable. The love stories were deliciously intense. I learnt so much about art and the Impressionist artists and now want to go to France to learn more, to explore Paris from another point of view and to discover some of the other areas that the author describes. The description of techniques and colour were really interesting, making me long to have artistic talents...I have none, unfortunately. I really enjoyed reading this tale, and it has made me a week behind in my PhD reading, but it was really worth it. I couldn't put it down. The author has such a talent for educating and entertaining. I love the story and I was delighted that although it was a piece of fiction, it was based on fact, in particular a picture by Alfred Sisley - Snow at Louveciennes - it was good to see this picture after reading about it (and it was quite different to how I had imagined it. I learnt this from the Amazon customer discussion lists. Very interesting.