Sunday, August 15, 2010

Agatha fest!

Gosh, I think I have outdone myself. Three Agatha Christie's in a row and all equally brilliant. I am really noticing a difference between her earlier and later books, and the change in the social system in England. A Pocket Full of Rye, written in 1953, demonstrated how people were still getting used to the new Health Service and were finding it difficult to locate a doctor because they now had to find one in their local area but they were unsure as to how to do this. Very interesting. And the story was just brilliant, running along the nursery rhyme themes that the author likes to follow. I just loved the way it was written and all the mystery. So clever. I also read Poirot Investigates, written in 1924, a collection of short stories. You can really see how her later novels stemmed from these short stories, eg the similarites of "The Western Star" alongside the novel "Evil Under The Sun". I had so many favourites, but I particularly liked The Kidnapped Prime Minister and The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb. Why Didn't They Ask Evans? was the third book that I read and it was a masterpiece. So many red herrings and confusion and I loved the hints at romance between the two main characters who were playing detective. Excellent plot and hugely enjoyable. Now, what's next...