Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Agatha overdose

I have just finished two Agatha Christie's and both were so different. I wasn't wild on the first one - Hallowe'en Party. It was interesting because it was written in 1969 and it dwelled on the falling standards of society. Actually, Agatha Christie's books would make a very interesting sociological study because her writing spanned several decades. I think with this one, it was evident that she wasn't thrilled with the freedom available to people, and she focused especially on crimes of a sexual nature. So, it was okay, but reminded me too much of what is in the news today. I prefer escapism, and that is what I got with the next one - And Then There Were None. It was fabulous. So much mystery and speculation and I still got it completely wrong. I won't say anymore, but I do think it would be great to write a fictional book about Agatha Christie carrying out the perfect crime. Has this been done? Personally, I don't have the imagination, but I would love to be able to describe the sort of crime that she would do. Is that wrong....not meant to be, but she has such a brilliant mind, it does make you wonder what she would have been like as a criminal. I am glad she chose to be an author - her books are amazing!