Friday, July 02, 2010

Floral magic

I have just finished Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, and it was just lovely. Actually, lovely is probably the wrong word as the are some sad/difficult moments focusing on domestic abuse, but the majority of the story is about the magical powers of flowers and how they can be used in cooking to manipulate emotions. You can find the recipes on the author's website - just click on books and choose a title, and there you will find the recipes. Back to the book, I love the sound of the garden, with the mischevious, magical apple tree. The style reminds me of Alice Hoffman, but gentler. All the women have strong characters and they are all so engaging, and not just the women, but the five-year old daughter of one of the women too. I have The Sugar Queen waiting in the wings, while I read The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.