Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Prince of Mist

I have long been a fan of Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and, by the way, he has a great website. Anyway, his latest offering is actually the first book he wrote. In his earlier days, before Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game, he wrote a set of four books for young adults. The Prince of Mist is the first one to be published and it is brilliant. Really quite scary, but as usual, beautifully described, with wonderful characters and gorgeous scene descriptions. The mystery is so imaginatively written and quite powerful. I read it in less than two days and I would have finished it in one, but I wanted to sleep last night. It is a horror story, but in a Philip Pullman Dark Materials kind of way. It is a book that suits young adults and above, a delight to read, providing excitement, terror, and adventure combined with rich characters and beautiful beach scenes. I can't wait for the next three to be published.