Sunday, January 13, 2008

Potter replacement

Well, having finished all the Harry Potter stories, I decided to try the Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman. I didn't really like The Northern Lights. It was so dark and I really didn't like Mrs Coulter, so much so that I didn't see the film. However, I thought there must be something to it, and I was curious to see what would happen to the characters. So, I went to buy the Subtle Knife and the lady in the shop said that I really should buy the Amber Spyglass because once I had finished the Subtle Knife I would just want to carry on. And, she was so right! I did, and it was superb. So after that, I needed another replacement, so I decided to try Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones, about two children who have been orphaned. One of them is a witch, but rather arrogant and spoilt. I haven't finished this one yet, but I am three-quarters of the way through and I am really enjoying it. One book I have just finished, which was fantastic, was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It is so wonderfully written, and completely unexpected. It is narrated by death and tells the story of a girl living in Germany during the Second World War. It is entertaining, but also incredibly moving. Not sure what I will read next. Recommendations gratefully received!