Saturday, May 14, 2011

Exotic food and treasure trails

I first read Pomegranate Soup four years ago, and really enjoyed it, learning about the delicious Iranian culinary delights and beautiful customs. So I was really pleased to find that Marsha Mehran had written a sequel. Rosewater and Soda Bread continues the story of the three sisters who fled Iran to set up an restaurant in County Meath, in Ireland. The latest update deals with unwanted pregnancy,
blossoming romances, and unexpected surprises. There are gorgeous descriptions of the food and Ireland, and the characters vary from the romantic to the wicked, from the kindly to the mean. Really enjoyable story!

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson was a really interesting story, about an American teenager who is left a series of letters by her artist aunt who recently died of cancer. The letters send her on a voyage of discovery in Europe, and each letter sends her to a different country, starting with London, and continuing to Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Corfu. She meets a whole load of people, falls in love, takes risks, and discovers more about her crazy aunt then she ever knew. I loved the characters and the descriptions of art and the cities she visited. Really good story, and I am glad to say that there is a sequel, which I will be reading soon, although not before a whole pile of books that I have to get through first. I love books and I love my Kindle!