Friday, October 21, 2011

Hot chocolat!

I finally got round to reading Joanne Harris's Chocolat, and I have to admit that I have mixed feelings. I loved all of it until it got to the story of the priest. I think it went down from there. I usually find that books are better than the films, but in this case I preferred the film. The book was really well written, and I loved the descriptions of the people and the town and the way the story was told from different viewpoints. However, the film gave more hope and was about a man who just wanted everyone to be pure and leads by example. The book is about a man who wants everyone to be pure, but is corrupt himself and hypocritical. It made me sad because there was no-one to believe in, and that seemed a shame. I think the author's style is similar to Alice Hoffman, and if the ending had been different, it probably could have become my favourite.