Thursday, September 24, 2009

Different styles and new authors

The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff was my risk book, the third choice in my three for two purchase. It was really quirky, and entertaining, revolving around a young archaeologist, returning home following a disastrous affair. However, once home, her mother drops a bombshell, and she spends her time discovering the mystery and working out the issues in her life. I really enjoyed this book.

I reverted back to childhood again after reading this book and read Little Grey Rabbit's Second Storybook, which was just lovely; gorgeous pictures by Margaret Tempest, and magical stories by Alison Uttley. Unfortunately, no longer in print, but I managed to get a copy from eBay.

Then, I read another Elizabeth Edmondson book, The Art of Love. This was similar in style to The Villa in Italy, but set in a different country, focusing on a girl about to embark on a marriage that she isn't quite ready for. Again, this book is about a girl who discovers that she isn't who she thought she was and has to find some answers. This was also a really good story, with beautiful descriptions, and interesting characters. I am now reading another book by the same author, although older, so I will let you know what I think in my next blog.