Monday, January 19, 2009

Final Twilight for now

I have just finished the fourth book in the Twilight saga, Breaking Dawn. This was quite a bit darker towards the start, to the extent that I did worry about younger teenagers reading it. I won't say what it was about because I don't want to spoil the plot. It was entirely compelling, and I really enjoyed it. The end was perfect, and the ideas, and the complexities in the story were fantastic. The author, Stephenie Meyer has started writing another book with the Cullen household, Midnight Sun, which tells the story from Edward's point of view. Unfortunately, it was leaked onto the Internet, and so the author has stopped writing this for now, which is sad. She has however, made Chapter 1 and a partial draft of Midnight Sun officially available on her website. (This material is copyrighted by Stephenie Meyer.)

I did see the film Twilight, and I really enjoyed it. I know it was different to the book, but I think it was really well done. It was quite raw and slow, in a good way. I hope that now they have greater investment, it won't lose those qualities. The effects and the shots were superb. I am disappointed that they are changing directors, but shall wait for New Moon with an open mind.

Okay, while I am still obsessed with the Twilight saga, I am going to read other books now. I started reading The Tales of Beedle the Bard last night, but JK Rowling. She really is incredible the way she comes up with these ideas.