Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Elinor Lipman continued and something new!

The latest book I have read by Elinor Lipman, is The Ladies Man. I found it quite uncomfortable, the nature of this story, about a womaniser, who although I imagine was supposed to be charming, I found quite irritating. So, although this was a well-written story, it wasn't my favourite. The Inn at Lake Devine still holds that award!

So, the new book that I read is called The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zama. I loved this and didn't want it to end, although it did end the way I wanted to. It was beautifully written, and provided such rich images of India and the customs and culture, that I just want to go there and become immersed among the interesting people that live there. I learnt so much from this book and I am looking forward to more by this author.

I am currently reading Once Upon a Time in the North, by Philip Pullman, a spin-off from his Dark Materials trilogy, which I am absolutely loving!