Monday, September 15, 2008

New author discovered!

Well, new author to me. I picked up Elinor Lipman's "Then She Found Me". I hadn't realised that it has just been released as a film. I read it in a weekend and really enjoyed it. It was about a teacher just getting on with her life when her birth mother, who is a talk show host, makes contact. It is quite a simple story focusing on the emotions and confusions arising when an adopted child meets their birth parents. It was a very entertaining read, with romance, humour, sadness, and some lovely characters. I am looking forward to reading more of her books. I also read When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro, author of The Remains of the Day, and that was an interesting story about a detective trying to find out what happened to his parents who disappeared in Shanghai when he was a child. The story is so innocent, but has an unexpected ending. It was beautifully written, describing childhood friendships intertwined with politics and corruption.